Sunday, July 26, 2009

Diet Tips.


Hello, everyone!


I just thought I would post a couple of dieting tips that have helped me lately. These aren't things that are going to help you lose a whole lot of weight, but if you're like me, it's all about those damn 5 lbs.


For real. I'm a little person, I have a little frame. So 5 lbs. on me may look like 20 lbs. on someone with a larger frame. I seem to have aquired this 5 lbs. seemingly over night and sadly, it's taken much longer to lose it.


If I could afford a membership to the gym, it wouldn't be a problem, but no matter what they tell you, they still try and suck you dry the moment you walk in.


And, yeah, it's summer... I could be out walking or running or playing tennis. And I do... but I have a very short attention span. After three days of doing the same thing over and over again...I'm over it.


And I HATE the idea of dieting. I HATE it. It's torture.


So, my solution was either to get rid of all my clothes and buy new ones...which, of course, I can't afford, or come to some sort of compromise with my metabolism.


This is what I did. I just adjusted my diet SLIGHTLY.


First things first, I cut out the munching while lying on the couch reading. This is a horrible 'comfort' habit I picked up when my daughter first started school. Yeah, 8 years ago.

I didn't quit completely, I still allow myself ONE evening in which to munch on the couch, but on these evenings I make sure that I have eaten completely healthy that day. It's a give and take.


Next, I stepped up breakfast. Now, I'm not one for breakfast, I never have been, but it IS a proven fact that if you eat in the morning you lose weight. The reason is that it jump starts your metablism and gets it moving.


So, my normal breakfast is an apple and an english muffin or bagel with cream cheese.

Don't shy away from calories in the morning. They are good for you. They're what your body gets energy from. So in the morning and even at lunch, GET CALORIES, just not the bad ones.


Of course about two hours later I am hungry again. I am a bear for bagels and english muffins so I usually allow myself another.


About two hours after that, I eat another apple or two. The reason I keep mentioning apples is that not only are they good for you but they actually HELP your body lose weight.


For lunch I usually have a dry grilled cheese with mustard. It's easy to make, toast the bread in the toaster, slap on some mustard and cheese and VOILA. I only eat a cheese sandwich because I am a vegetarian, if you are NOT go ahead and eat a ham sandwich or salami, just go light on the mayo.


I have substituted the potato chips I would normally eat with my sandwich for pretzels, which yes, are loaded with carbs but very little, if any fat.


Then as a snack later I eat more pretzels. Sometimes I dip them in mustard. I like mustard, plus it's fat free.


Then I will normally make a salad of some sort. I don't skimp on it, I do it whole hog... cheese, onions, ranch dressing.


Then I have a normal dinner. I don't worry about it, because I've been good all day. Although I usually forgo the huge glass of milk I would normally drink on the side. I was one a gallon a day milk drinker... I love milk & dairy, that's why I will never be a veegan. Le Sigh.


It's been worth it, though. I'm down the 5 lbs and my clothes are all starting to look more natural on me again.


I figured if it worked for me, it may work for some of you out there, too. I hope it does.


The one thing to remember, though is don't NOT eat. If you do that, your body will store any fat you give it because it thinks it's starving. So, you MUST EAT. Just starting your day with an apple or a bowl of ceral should boost your metabolism enough to enable you to lose up to 2 lbs. a week.

Just a fun fact.


Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment